Monday, February 21, 2011

Starting a New Career. What holds us back.

George Russky, February 21, 2011
M. "When it comes a discussion about a new career there is always a number of voices that determine a selection of the area of your best interest as the most probable topic for your speech.
“Find out what you are good at and get going!,” they say.
However, how to do it, nobody says, or they recommend to think what you are good at.
But how to determine what I am good at if I haven’t ever won any prizes, medals or distinguished certificates identifying me as a leader or a winner among the many.
And then it is not enough just to like something and do it as a part time activity, nothing special, nothing out of the ordinary…
 I would like to be this or that…But the complex of being an ordinary, just one of the many who potentially can be good at the same as I want to be holds me back and doesn’t let me go in the desired direction.
Can that be helped?"

George: I guess I understand what troubles you. I have heard that a many times with similar descriptions of the same problem:’ I’m not good enough to build a new career, to start a new activity and so on.
First of all to start something new it is not necessary to be the best or good enough.
Being good enough to wish something to start is quite enough.
That is the first step. To have a burning desire.
As you can see, we again come to the same formula:
                               What =>Why => How!
What: I want to start a new business even though I am not a ‘super hero’ in this industry.
Why: I want to feel important, fulfilled, express myself thru this business, earn money and position, etc.
How: I will collect as much knowledge about the subject, learn all I can and create a Plan for everyday activities to achieve my goal.
Does that make sense for you?
And something else. Whenever you feel like sharing your ideas about your new start, think twice before you decide to do it, because “Why do you want it?-Do you need it?” people will always try to change your decision. Be strong and ignore the voices of even your closest and dearest who will try to make you change your mind.
In short, make a decision trust your intuition and listen to your inner voice.
And, perhaps, the most important of all: do not quit!





No comments: