Wednesday, October 24, 2012

How fast is your reaction?


One of the most effective ways to develop English-speaking skills, reaction and concentration of my students that I often use on my lessons is this.
The client/student hears the statement: "Czech beer is one of the best in Europe."Then I show her the table and say: "A-1", which means (see the table):
Support with a story that led to a similar result.
The student has a few seconds to think how she can support the statement.
She is not allowed just to say I agree/ that's right... but prove her opinion with several sentences.

As soon as she finishes, I give her another statement:
"Subway in Prague is a nightmare on Monday mornings!" and then immediately point at D-3 which is:
 Give advice to avoid a problem next time when a similar situation occurs

The student may offer to travel on Monday mornings by car.... Again, two-three sentences.I could give you more examples of using this method, but I think you get the point. -----


Resume. I have noticed that this drill has been extremely useful for the students who had gone thru this training.After a series of 7 drills they were able to react on various life situations fast, creatively and with much better English.Don't forget one important thing before you start using this method: equip your followers with an arsenal of words and expressions they might need for all language models in the table.
 George

No comments: