Tuesday, October 02, 2012

The ' War ' of Tenses



Which English Grammar tense is the most important for us?

                  As you perhaps know, there are 12 grammar tenses in English:
Four past, four present and four future grammar tenses.
( To revise all, ask for my free e-book Discover the Secrets of Learning English Grammar Tenses)
I guess the frequency of used tenses depends entirely on our thoughts which could be about past, present or future. I, for one, more think about present and especially future: that’s where I am going to spend the rest of my days, therefore in my daily activities most often used tenses are present simple to describe what I do regularly, present perfect to tick what has been done, present continuous to plan future intentions and future simple to change plans if something unplanned occurs.
 Ok, how about conditionals?
There are four of them-zeroone –two- three conditionals.
How often do you say, for instance: “If I were/ had/could, I would….”?
 Why to regret about something that had never happened and then to daydream about something that might have been but never came into being?
Is that worth doing?!

Try to use zero and first conditionals for they are about present and future.
OK, just a few thoughts to share with you.
Thank you for reading.
Till next time in the air :-)

George

No comments: