Saturday, November 17, 2012

Ho to Make a Nice English Sentence


Dear learners of English.
If you want to speak better English and create more interesting sentences, you may use my simple formula of making short sentences longer which I am about to share with you.
Here is a basic formula of an English affirmative sentence in the Present Simple tense:

  Who does where when

                               
In order to practice this exercise, let’s take a short sentence:
 I work here on Mondays.  ( five words )

How can we make this sentence more interesting and much longer?
Look at each element of the sentence:

Who. The start of the sentence. Instead of ‘I’ what else can we say?
My wife and I

Now, does the verb ‘work’. We can use a synonym e.g. ‘to labor’ or ‘to toil’

Where: there could be a long list of various nouns, for example: at home, in the garden, in the living room, etc.

When: in the evening, every day, when we are not busy with other things, etc.

Finally we can come with a nice sentence like the one I am giving you now:

My lovely wife and I work very hard in our small garden when we have free time.-seventeen words.

Can you see how simple it is?
A word of warning, though: you should follow the word-order of the basic sentence and keep the grammar formula unchangeable.

Now, you try to turn simple sentences below into more interesting ones.
  • I am walking in the rain.
  • She loves you.
  • They will take a taxi to the airport.
  
Cheers
George

No comments: