Thursday, September 27, 2012

How Good Is Your Business English?

Become a Master of Business English

Useful phrases used on a business meeting

Hi
There is nothing exceptionally new or unusual in the English language that business executives use to communicate with their business partners.
English is still English whatever topic or subject of the talk you may speak about.
Granted, there exist some communicative formulas that business executives use on their meetings and if you want to become a successful English-speaking businessman, you should practice these formulas too.
          With this article I am starting the list of expressions that I have heard on a big number of business meetings, negotiations, presentations.
           Armed with a solid arsenal of business communication tools, you will in no time become
an outstanding English-speaking business executive.
 George Rusky

Part One. Chairing a Business Meeting.

Starting a meeting.

  • Shall be start?
  • Shall we begin?
  • Let’s get down to business
  • Let’s get started.

Opening a Meeting

  • Thank you for coming
  • Welcome to…
  • It’s nice to have you here
  • Today we will discuss
  • As you can see on your agenda…

Agreeing

  • I agree with you
  • I think it’s true
  • I think you are right
  • I think we can accept it
Disagreeing

  • I can’t agree with that, I am afraid
  • I have to disagree with you
  • I am not sure it could be the best solution for us
  • I am afraid it is not exactly for we can accept
Giving opinions

  • In my opinion
  • As far as I can see it
  • From my point of view
Interrupting

  • Excuse me but…
  • Could I have something?
  • I’d like to add something
  • Hold on a moment…
Preventing an interruption

  • Could I just finish?
  • Let me finish
  • Could you wait one minute?
Suggesting

  • I suggest that …
  • What about …
  • Why don’t we try this?
  • Let’s do it …
  • Wouldn’t it be better to…
Returning to a previous statement

  • As I have said earlier
  • That brings us back to…
  • I wonder if I can repeat what I have said…
Asking for repeating/not understanding  

  • Could you repeat that?
  • Could you say tat again?
  • What are you trying to say?
  • I didn’t quite follow you.
  • I am not sure what you mean
Reassuring

  • I can assure you
  • You needn’t worry
  • Let me assure you
Giving reasons

  • It’s because
  • It’s due to
  • The reason is that
Summarizing

  • To sum it up…
  • Before we finish, let me recap…
  • I ‘d like to summarize
Ending the Meeting

  • I think that’s all for now
  • Let’s wrap it up
  • Thank you for coming
  • I’ll see you next time
Good luck with your business English!
George Rusky

No comments: